Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Resume and Interview Advice for Someone with Little to No Experience

As a freshman in college, I have been struggling with what to put on my resume as I start to look for my first internship. In December, I had the opportunity to meet with my PRSSA mentor and colleagues to discuss what they look for in an intern's resume. 

Class Experience and Skills

Most employers are aware that you are a college student and you might not have a lot of experience outside of the classroom. If you are worried about your only former experience being a waitress, then use examples of projects you have completed in class. For example, Created and managed a social media account, can show your employer that you are familiar with social media and can manage their accounts. Also, list skills that you have learned during your part-time job like: communication, teamwork, leadership, etc. 

How Informed you Are

When looking to hire someone, employers want to know that you want that position. It is important to make sure you do your research on the company beforehand and be prepared to tell the interviewer about their company. Be aware of what the position is asking for and create similar wording on your resume. Also, be ready to answer any questions with real life examples from your past jobs. Last, inform the interviewer why you would be a great fit for that position, using examples from your resume.

Personality

Having the skills required for a job is important, but people will only hire someone that they want to work with. Be passionate about the job and show them that you are committed to the company and its success. However, do not try to fake the excitement if it is not there. Sometimes, the position is not right for you. Overall, be confident in what it is that you can bring to the company. 

Now that you know more about creating a beginner's resume, get to work and get those interviews!


2 comments:

  1. I remember my first resume and how almost nothing was on it. It never felt good enough. Getting involved helped a lot and now my resume does not look too bad. It is always important to continue to update it (that is something I struggle with). When in doubt ask a professor to look over it. Not only is two sets of eyes better than one but they have looked at so many they know what works and what doesn't. Something that is rarely thought of is do you have a question for your potential employer. Don't be shy to ask some. I go into every interview with a list of at least three. They want to see how interested you are in the position. Being curious helps. Also don't be afraid to turn a job offer down. If you don't want it don't take it. Something else will fit you better. Good on you getting started early looking for jobs. I wish I had before my junior year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really helpful information as a lot of people start putting their resumes together and getting serious about their resumes in college. I have had some odd jobs, but they have taught me a lot about life and how to work with people. Like you said the employers really want to see who you are, not who you think you should be to get the job. So just be yourself, they love to know that you can be comfortable and interact with other people without faking it all. I recently got a job and one of the things the manager said she liked about me is how I am comfortable working with people and just having a bubbly personality. Another thing that I have learned is that the layout and design of the resume can play a huge role in the decision process of selecting an employee. I know many people may not think about this part but if the employer looks at a poorly set up resume they will just move on without looking at the content. Just keep working on the resume and before you know it, it will all come together!

    ReplyDelete