Monday, February 13, 2017

The Science of Dressing Professionally

My boyfriend recently got an internship at a company called Titan Tire in Bryan, Ohio. The other day, we were discussing what your boss means when they say to dress business casual. Below, is a breakdown of what is appropriate to wear based on what you have been told. 

Business Casual

For men, business casual usually means khakis and a polo, or a button-up shirt with no tie. Depending on the company, you might be able to get away with jeans. This is the case at my boyfriend's job. For women, business casual can be anything from slacks and a sweater to a skirt and blouse. The goal is to be professional and still comfortable. 

Semi-formal

Semi-formal for men would be slacks with a button-up shirt and tie. Women would wear what is referred to as a cocktail dress. 

Formal

Formal attire for women is always a dress. The safest thing to wear would be a long gown.  For men, full suits or tuxedos. 

Other Tips

In every circumstance, closed-toe shoes are safe. If you work closely with a factory, you may be taking trips through the machinery and don't want any injuries. Often, a business will inform you if there are any special requirements for your job. For example, my boyfriend is required to have steel-toed shoes at work because they work closely with tires. 

In any case, if you are unsure of what to wear, ask employees who have attended the event before. If it is your first day on the job, dress semi-formal for men and a nicer business-casual for women. 

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing! This was a great post and was very clear. I always find myself questioning what is appropriate when certain dress is required. I agree with your statement about being unsure, you should just ask employees who have attended the event before. It is always best to dress up, rather than down. Thanks again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post was honestly very helpful to me! I am usually so lost when it comes to figuring out what businesses or event invitations mean when they vaguely tell you business casual or semi-formal. I always am afraid of possibly being too dressed up or too dressed down. This really has enlightened me. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tips. Next time I get invited to a semi-formal I will remember to not wear jeans. Sadly I am the guy that always dresses down. I think the reason why is because I did not know the rules that applied in what to wear. But thanks to this post I now have a guide.

    ReplyDelete