Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Only in Your State

As an Ohio native, I get very defensive when people bash my state and say there is "nothing to do". While there are a lot of cornfields, I was never bored as a child. I used my imagination and grew up to love Ohio. Aside from the occasional misfits, nobody complained about living here. Then I went to college. All I see on Twitter is complaints about being in the middle of nowhere and stuck in run-down Ohio. I wished that people would be able to see the same beauty in this state that I do. It was then that I discovered a website called onlyinyourstate.com. Before the next time you complain about having nothing to do, check out this website and be amazed. Below are a few of my favorites!

1. Landoll's Mohican Castle 

Or as I like to call it, my wedding venue. This luxurious bed and breakfast castle offers 17 intimate suites, a cavern-like pool area and entertainment gigs. For less than $200, you can enjoy a night in a Jacuzzi tub and sit by the fireplace. The best news is, this destination is only two hours away from Ada!

2. Hocking Hills

If you are into nature, Hocking Hills has beautiful trails that lead to some of God's astonishing art work. If you have a camper, stay at the campsite! My family traveled to Hocking Hills when I was younger and those were some of the best times of my life. Nothing beats the memories made when you are stuck in a small space with five other people!




3. Swensons 

You wouldn't be in Ohio if you didn't get to experience all the great food options we have! Most restaurants are family owned and small in size, which makes the experience even better! Swensons, in Akron, Ohio, has only nine locations. Unlike most restaurants, Swensons is a drive-in. All you have to do is park your car and turn on the lights. Workers always rush out to you with a smile and ask if you would like to try their signature Galley Boy sandwich. After you have finished your meal, treat yourself to one of their irreplicable milkshakes!

These are only my favorites and it was hard to narrow it down to three! Ohio is a state unlike any other. We pride ourselves in the hard work and kindness that you see around every corner. So next time you try to bash my state, get to know it first and I will do the same with yours. 

2 comments:

  1. Loved your post! I have never heard of Landoll's Mohican Castle or Swenson's. I would love for the opportunity to visit both! They look like they would be a lot of fun to visit and try out! I have been to Hocking Hills multiple times and I would also highly recommend visiting to anyone up for some adventure. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this website, I had no idea it existed! I completely understand your frustration when people say there is nothing to do in Ohio. There are so many things to do, people just love to complain lol. I have never heard of of Landoll's Mohican Castle or Swenson's. They both look awesome, so maybe one day I'll have to go check them out!

    ReplyDelete