Sunday, March 12, 2017

Using Time Efficiently

Procrastination. We have all done it and it is a very hard habit to break. When I arrived at college, I thought I was an expert at getting assignments done ahead of schedule and preparing for future assignments far in advance. When I arrived here, I realized that motivating myself to get up everyday and do something meaningful would be more challenging than I originally thought. In college, it can be tempting to procrastinate assignments and take naps all day because no one is telling you what you can and cannot do. Since then, I have learned a few strategies that I use to get my daily tasks done, prevent me from procrastinating, and keep a healthy lifestyle.
Before you can begin to plan your day-to-day productivity, look into purchasing a few calendars. I like to keep a large wall calendar as an overview for my month, an everyday planner for appointments, work, and family events, and an assignment or “to-do” notebook.
It is important to prepare your schedule in advance by adding due dates to your calendar as soon as you receive them. This is so you can prepare how much time each day needs to be devoted to each assignment.

Prioritize

Patrick Forsyth, author of “Successful Time Management”,  recommends to highlight first priority items; things that may have a short time to be completed and do those first. 

Accuracy

Accuracy in recording events is also important so you can ensure that the task will be fully completed when you run out of time. Forsyth also recommends to prepare for interruptions in a task that may cause one activity to run into another. 

Keep To-Do Lists

Be reasonable with what you can accomplish in a day. If you have a lot of homework or have to work that day, maybe just straighten up your room or take out the trash. Leave the longer tasks for a slower day. One tip that my mother told me is, “If it can be done in 5 minutes, do it immediately!” This will prevent little tasks from building up. 


Now that you know how to use your time efficiently, I’m sure you are all eager to book your schedules to the fullest, however, it is important to remember to take care of yourself.


Take time for yourself

Brett Hilder mentions that it is okay to say no to a task. In college, we can’t always say no to assignments, but we can be aware of how much we are capable of working at a part-time job or how much time we can dedicate to extra-curricular activities. 

A productive person, is a happy person. Make sure you are getting enough sleep and leaving time to eat and socialize with friends and family. At the end of the day, it is the people around you that are your motivation to do something with everyday. 


It may be hard at first to break yourself of the habits that you have already formed here at college. To start, try picking one thing to try to do differently for a month and watch the change happen.

3 comments:

  1. Time management is one of my biggest pet peeves. I loathe when people waste time. As a busy person I am always creating new to do list and trying to allow the needed time for each event. This was a great read especially for those who are looking to be better at time management and not procrastinate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time management is a MUST for me. I am constantly making lists and making sure I allow myself plenty of time for each task I must complete. I really enjoyed your post and could relate on multiple levels. I can't wait to put your tips into action! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to create "to do" lists and check them off as I complete a task. I get such a feeling of accomplishment as I see the checks on my list.

    I also agree with it can be completed in 5 minutes, just do it.

    ReplyDelete