Thursday, March 16, 2017

What Your Waitress Wants to Say to You

In August, I was hired as a waitress at Viva Maria's in Ada, Ohio. As my first serving job, it has been an experience learning the menu, how the business operates and how to work with customers. As someone who came from one small town to live in another, I thought most people would be very nice, however, I have encountered more rude people than I would like to admit. Below are a few things you can do to be a courteous customer and have an enjoyable dining experience. 

1. Split the check early

Are you out with your four best friends and all want to pay separately? No problem! Just please mention that before you order. At Viva Maria's, we all write and add the checks by hand. I'm sure a machine has its complications too, so please make it easier for your server. 

2. Address the appropriate person

So often I will have customers complain and pout about their food being overcooked or not tasting right. While I can relay that message to the kitchen, they often roll their eyes when it comes from me. Our manager is always happy to speak with customers about what may or may not be wrong with their food. Also, we do not have a say on whether you get a discount or free food so don't ask. 

3. Place the bill vertically when you are ready to pay

I do have other tables and I can't constantly check and see if you slid your credit card into the book. To grab my attention and have the bill taken care of efficiently, place it vertically when you are ready to pay. 

4. Be patient

On the weekends, we get very busy and I may have tables waiting for food for up to an hour. Please understand that I also want you to have your food so I can take more tables, but that doesn't always happen. The only way to ensure you eat quickly on the weekends is by getting the buffet. 

5. Tip Kindly

This should be obvious, but unfortunately people have not caught on. Currently, the appropriate tip is 15 to 20 percent. The majority of people still think it is 10 percent. I understand that a tip is not a fun thing to write out, but our minimum wage is half of what the standard is and our pay is mostly tips. If you can't afford a standard tip, you can't afford to eat out. If my service was bad, tell me, but don't leave me thinking you tipped poorly because you are just a terrible person. 

Now that you know a few courtesy rules for dining out, try them out and watch how wonderful your dining experience is!

3 comments:

  1. All I want to say to this blog is PREACH! I have had a serving job since I was 16 and it is shocking to know how bad people treat their wait staff. The bill is the big thing for me. If they do not sit them up right I constantly check and then it seems like I am rushing them. Also with splitting the check. I just got back from New Orleans and every restaurant we went to we told our server right away that we needed separate checks. It makes everything so much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for being patient with people who don't have courtesy, Rachel! Not everyone has the couth to think ahead and be kind to their waiter or waitress. I totally agree with the tip comment. If you can't afford a standard tip, you can't afford to eat out. I am sure there are some days you don't want to be a waitress, but you are doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a blessing for you to be posting about. I just recently got hired as a waitress and I knew it was going to be hard, but I didn't realize how hard it actually was going to be. Some people are so rude to their waitstaff even though they are just trying to do their job. I always try to do these things while going out because waiting on tables can be one of the most stressful things you will do. Good luck with the rest of your time at Viva's!

    ReplyDelete